The ACVPM application and certification processes require the highest level of moral character combined with professional experience and qualifications. These exceptional standards and quality of our diplomates attests to the quality of the ACVPM certification exam.
The application period for the 2019 exam has CLOSED. Please check back for the 2020 exam application.
Requirements to Apply for the ACVPM Exam
- Be a graduate from a school or college of veterinary medicine accredited by the AVMA or possess a certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates of the AVMA or be legally qualified (licensed) to practice veterinary medicine.
- Have a total of four years of combined qualifying experience beyond the veterinary degree in three or more areas of veterinary preventive medicine, as defined in Article II of the ACVPM Constitution.
- Article II
- a. Surveillance, recognition, prevention, control and management of diseases of livestock, poultry, wildlife, zoo and companion animals.
- b. Prevention and control of zoonotic diseases and foodborne illnesses.
- c. Reduction of bites, injuries and other environmental and occupational human health hazards related to animals.
- d. Promoting food safety and wholesomeness.
- e. Promotion of humane animal care and the use of animals in animal-facilitated therapy.
- A portion of this experience may be obtained through a formal education program as listed under Training Programs on this website.
- The ACVPM Credentials Committee is responsible for determining the suitability of all experience.
- Have a history of unquestionable moral character and professional behavior.
- Be sponsored by a diplomate of the ACVPM who will attest to the suitability of your professional experience, character, and qualifications.
- $550 covers the application and examination fees
- $400 exam retake fee
- $75 first year ACVPM dues payable upon successful completion of the exam
- $150 annual dues thereafter to maintain active diplomate status
- 2019 Exam application dates: July 15 to October 15, 2018 (CLOSED)
- 2019 ACVPM Exam Date, Location: June 19 and 20 in Columbus, Ohio
- 2020 Exam application dates: July 15 to October 15, 2019
ACVPM Exam Study References
ACVPM Exam Sample Questions
Visit the Epi Exam webpage for more information about that specialty option.