The ACVPM application and certification processes require the highest level of moral character combined with professional experience and qualifications. These exceptional standards and quality of our diplomates attests to the quality of the ACVPM certification exam. Qualifications are below and explained in full detail in the ACVPM Bylaws, Article VIII, Section 2.
Requirements to Apply for the ACVPM Exam
Qualified applicants shall:
- Be a graduate with a degree in veterinary medicine from a school or college of veterinary medicine accredited by the AVMA or possess a certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) of the AVMA or be legally qualified (licensed) to practice veterinary medicine in some state, province, territory, or possession of the United States or other country, and
- Have a history of unquestionable moral character and professional behavior, and
- Have a total of four years of combined qualifying experience after the DVM (or equivalent degree) as of the exam application deadline. The applicant’s qualifying experience must encompass three or more areas of veterinary preventive medicine as defined in Article II of the Constitution.
- Surveillance, recognition, prevention, outbreak investigation, and management of diseases of livestock, poultry, wildlife, zoo and companion animals.
- Prevention and control of zoonotic diseases and foodborne illnesses.
- Reduction of bites, injuries and other environmental and occupational human health hazards related to animals.
- Promoting food protection and wholesomeness.
- Promotion of humane animal care and the use of animals in animal-facilitated therapy.
The Credentials Committee is responsible for determining the suitability of all experience.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in preventive medicine/public health or other relevant medical science may count towards the four years of qualifying experience (for example, two years in a Master of Public Health program may be reviewed and considered by the Credentials Committee as two years of qualifying experience).
- A formal training or residency program approved by the College shall count as qualifying experience. Programs approved by the ACVPM are described here.
- Applicants in good standing in the final year of a College-approved formal training or residency program, who meet the requirements in Sections 2a and 2b, and who will meet the qualifying experience requirements in this Section upon completion of their approved formal training or residency program, shall be eligible to sit for the examination. Final certification is contingent upon documentation of successful completion of the approved formal training or residency program.
- Provide two references who can attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities in accordance with the ACVPM specialty and your unquestionable moral character and professional behavior.
- Be sponsored by an ACVPM Diplomate in good standing who can attest to your character, professional experience, and qualifications. Sponsor roles and responsibilities explained in more detail here.
- Exam Application Fee - $625
- Exam Retake Fee - $475
- Certification Fee - $75 (This fee will increase to $100 for new Diplomates in 2021 and $125 for new Diplomates in 2022)
- Annual Dues - $200 for dues to maintain active Diplomate status. Membership dues will increase to $225 for dues year 2022, and $250 for dues year 2023.
REFUND: Applicants deemed ineligible to take the examination may request a partial refund of their application fee in accordance with ACVPM Bylaws, Article VIII, Section 2.
- 2020 ACVPM Exam Date and Location: Cancelled due to COVID-19
- 2021 Exam application window opens 1 June 2020
- 2021 Exam application window closes 31 August 2020
- 2021 ACVPM Exam Date and Location: 16-17 June 2021 in Columbus, Ohio
ACVPM Exam Study References
ACVPM Exam Sample Questions
ACVPM Model Curriculum
ACVPM Exam Frequently Asked Questions
Visit the Epi Exam webpage for more information about that specialty option.
All applicants should review the ACVPM Anti-harassment and Anti-discrimination Policy.